Welcome to #IceCreamWeek! Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen of Juanita’s Cocina have teamed up with more than 20 of their blog friends to bring you a week full of ice cream treats, including a special ice cream giveaway! Prepare to have your taste buds tempted with some of the best ice cream treats around! Make sure you enter the giveaway for a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and two fabulous ice cream cookbooks so that you can join in on the ice cream fun!
The absolute best places to get a meal like this are the old 50's diner-style restaurants, complete with red leather booths, black and white checkered floors, and mini-jukeboxes at your table.
We used to have a couple of them in the area when I was in high school. One particular high school boyfriend-slash-best-friend and I used to ALWAYS drive to one the next town over. I'm pretty sure it was called Sh-booms (Shabooms? I don't remember). I have no idea what happened to it. It must have disappeared sometime when I was away for college, because I don't remember seeing it since we went so many years ago. I would order the exact same thing every single time we went (see above).
Sigh. The disappearance of Americana...
I'll admit, I order the equivalent at Steak 'n Shake. But it's not quite the same. I mean yes, it's good. Particularly the chocolate malts. I think it's just the ambiance that I'm missing.
So yes, I adore a good chocolate malt (and I even like a not-so-good one). Fortunately, so does my whole family. They tend to get other kinds when we go out, while I'm happily sucking on the straw stuck into my chocolate malt - but they are more than happy to clean out the blender when I make a big batch at home!
Warning: These malts may be addictive! And also, they may be fattening. Maybe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes (mostly unattended)
Cook Time: n/a
Keywords: beverage dessert low-sodium nut-free soy-free vegetarian dairy milk frozen ice-cream American summer
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 3 heaping tablespoons Malted Milk powder
- 3 heaping tablespoons Chocolate Malted Milk powder
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, divided
- malted milk balls, to garnish
Place 1/2 cup of the milk into a blender with 3 tablespoons of malt powder; blend until powder is dissolved. Add 1 cup of the ice cream and blend until smooth. Add another cup, a little at a time, until it is smooth.
Pour two glasses halfway full with the vanilla malt, and pour the rest into a glass measuring cup. Place them all into the freezer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add the remaining 1/2 cup milk to the blender, along with the chocolate malt powder; blend until malt is dissolved. Add 1 cup of the ice cream and blend until smooth. Add the last cup, a little at a time, until it is smooth.
If you like, crush a few malted milk balls over the first layer of vanilla malt in the frozen glasses. Top off the 2 glasses with chocolate malt. Fill 2 empty glasses halfway with the remaining chocolate malt. Freeze everything for 10 minutes. Stir the vanilla malt that is left in the glass measuring cup, and then top off the 2 glasses that are halfway full with the chocolate malt (adding crushed malt balls in between, if you wish).
Serve garnished with a few more cut/crushed malted milk balls and enjoy immediately!
Obviously, you don't have to make these two-toned if you don't want to. Make all vanilla or all chocolate (or go any flavor, using the plain malted milk powder).
adapted from Martha Stewart
- Peanut Butter, Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream Banana Splits by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peachy Vanilla Ice Cream by Juanita's Cocina
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie by Cook the Story
- Malted Chocolate Ice Cream by Foodness Gracious
- Malted Milkshakes by girlichef
- Ice Cream Social Week: Roasted Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream by Poet in the Pantry
- S'mores Ice Cream by Food Babbles
- Healthy Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Manischewitz Ice Cream Sandwiches by What Jew Wanna Eat
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Nutella Ice Cream with Granola Topping by The Spiffy Cookie
- Chocolate Chip Caramel Swirl Ice Cream by It's Yummilicous
Make sure you stop by our Pinterest board #IceCreamWeek 2013 to answer today's question which enters you in our bonus prize draw.