Making Miracles is a blog about food, family and making memories. Rebekah is a mom and a wife, and has also been the surrogate mom for 4 little girls—how amazing is that! You can learn more about Rebekah and her surrogacy experiences on her about page. But now, on to the food! Making Miracles is full of family-friendly recipes of all sorts, including a page of baby/toddler food recipes. But what I was on the hunt for was berries!
Can I just tell you that I love the process of searching and exploring a blog each month? I really do. I like searching a general term, then more specific terms, all the while clicking on recipes that catch my fancy. I usually wind up with about 10 tabs open, and then try to narrow things down to about 3 to choose from.
This time I was deciding between:
- Mixed Berry Slab Pie: pies are one of my favorite things in the universe (see: Friday PieDay)
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake: like pie, a favorite since I was a kid
- Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake: I'm a pie girl, but simple, rustic cakes (especially coffee cakes) studded with fresh berries are always tempting. I'm not big on frosting, so this is the kind of cake that I love the best.
You can see which one I chose. Three pints of fresh blueberries hanging out in my kitchen had a little something to do with that. It was a fantastic choice, if I do say so myself. Tender, only lightly sweet, a wee bit tangy, and a thin, crackly sugar crust on top. It's a great cake for breakfast...or dessert.
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
A moist and fluffy breakfast cake recipe that is lightly sweet, with a hint of tang from the buttermilk, and loaded with fresh blueberries.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 48-50 mins
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert vegetarian soy-free nut-free cake
Ingredients (1 8-inch cake)
- 4 ounces (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at soft room temp
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease (or use non-stick spray) an 8-inch square baking dish; lay a long sheet of parchment in the pan for easy removal later, then spray the parchment, too.
Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer) cream the butter, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the lemon zest together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
Place the blueberries in a small bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the flour until all the blueberries are coated. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining flour with the baking powder and salt.
Add the dry mixture to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk, beating until everything is just combined. The batter will be very thick.
Tip the floured blueberries into the bowl; any extra flour that goes in with them is fine, but you don't have to add any extra that's remaining in the bottom of the bowl. As gently as you can, fold them into the batter.
Scoop the batter into the prepared baking pan, gently spreading out with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the top.
Slide into preheated oven and bake for 48-50 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack and allow to cool for 15 minutes before lifting it out and either cooling the rest of the way, or serving.
I'm a lifelong mystery-lover, my favorite board game is CLUE, and I'm a believer than there's no better way to get to know somebody than through food—is there any doubt that I enjoy this event!?
Today is reveal day, and this month's theme is: Berries. Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member's kitchens!
- Blackberry Yogurt Muffins by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Blueberry Bars by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake by Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Blueberry Lemon Bars by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Blueberry Sour Cream Cake by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes and Frosting by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Irish Blackberry Cobbler Cocktail by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Italian Jam Cookies by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Cheesecake Parfaits with Raspberry Sauce by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Raspberry Muffins by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Raspberry Oat Bars by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Strawberry and Coconut Tartlets by Anna from annaDishes
- Strawberry Champagne Cocktail by Kim from Liv Life
- Strawberry Fool by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Strawberry Lemon Marmalade by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Strawberry Margaritas by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Strawberry Mousse by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tapioca Cream Strawberry Parfait by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Vanilla Roasted Peaches with Mascarpone and Raspberries by Kathleen from Bakeaway with Me