Normally I'm a granola for breakfast kind of girl, but this version tastes so sinful that you'll totally want to eat it for dessert—which is the first reason I'm sharing it with you during Christmas Week (which is all about the sweets). The second reason is that it makes a perfect homemade gift when stored in a pretty jar or container wrapped with a ribbon. Best of all...it's pretty much the easiest thing in the world to make.
When I first tried this recipe back in October, I was at a pretty awesome blogger event put on by Meijer. If you're not from the Michigan-Indiana-Illinois-Wisconsin-Ohio area (the area I affectionately call "my midwest"), Meijer is a supermarket that got its start in Greenville, Michigan 81 years ago. I grew up in Grand Rapids (home of Meijer headquarters) which means that I grew up in that store. It's still one of my favorite places to shop; they have gorgeous produce and support local farms, their meat and seafood counter offers amazing selection, and their "house brand" is both affordable and high quality.
True Goodness by Meijer (with their organics being labeled True Goodness Organics). With beautiful new packaging on the outside and the same high quality products on the inside, Meijer shoppers are one lucky bunch.
One of my favorite products is Meijer True Goodness unsweetened coconut. It's always been a bit tricky locating unsweetened flakes, and it's rare that I want the sickeningly sweet and sticky kind, so it made my day to find out that I can pick up a pack of it anytime I want to now. So, whether or not you have a Meijer in your area, you definitely need to pick up the ingredients to make a big batch of this double chocolate peppermint granola this holiday season. Give it as a gift and/or start your morning off right.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Granola
Bring the flavors of the season to breakfast (or dessert) with this peppermint infused double chocolate granola packed with nuts, seeds, coconut.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert Christmas winter
Ingredients (7 cups)
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- big pinch fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, or dark)
Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the oats, coconut flakes, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Combine the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and peppermint extract in a glass measuring cup, then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until everything is coated and combined.
Turn out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly. Slide into preheated oven and bake for 60 minutes, stirring 3 times throughout the baking process.
Allow granola to cool completely, then stir in the chocolate chips. Store cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature.
-recipe (slightly adapted) courtesy of Meijer
Welcome to Day 5 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter!
Recipes from Day 5 of Christmas Week! Please visit all of our talented participants:
- Boozy Bourbon Balls from Amee's Savory Dish
- Cardamon Coffee Bars with Mascarpone Frosting from Daily Appetite
- Cherry Brandy Old Fashioned from Food Babbles
- Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies from Mind Over Batter
- Chocolate Covered Snowmen S’mores from Big Bear's Wife
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from CopyKat Recipes
- Chocolate Orange Oatmeal Cookies from Desserts Required
- Christmas Bundt Cake from Savory Experiments
- Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake from Comfortably Domestic
- Crockpot Chocolate Cherry Nut Cups from Flour On My Face
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Granola from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Magic Cookie Bar Truffles from Farm Fresh Feasts
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars from My Catholic Kitchen
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies from From Gate to Plate
- Peppermint Truffles from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Po'e from Aloha Flavor
- S'mores Christmas Crack Bars from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Spiced Hibiscus and Cranberry Mojito from Pineapple and Coconut
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Christmas Week Amazon Gift Card Giveaway is open to USA and Canada. Giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015. Winners must be 18 years of age. Winners will be notified by email. Winners will be asked a skill testing question.