I tend to save certain books to read later because they're mine. "Oh, I'll just read this review book or this library book or this new release in a favorite series first. That's mine, so I can get to it any time." Only I rarely do. So I've decided that I need to crack those perfect spines and get to reading. This way, I can start clearing out our already small living space. If I read it and love it, I will keep it. If not, I will pass it on to somebody who I think will love it, I'll donate it, or I'll add it to my paperback swap shelf.
This is easier said than done when it's just me, but joining a group of other people doing the same thing helps me hold myself a little more accountable, so I'm joining Andie at Estella's Revenge (and what's already at about 100 other bloggers) this year in the Read My Own Damn Books Challenge! And while I do love a challenge, what I love even more about this particular one is that Andi made it a "you do you" rule set...knowing that sometimes it's easier to stay committed that way.
So I decided to start with just one bookshelf. I know that if I tried to purge the whole house at once I would just overwhelm myself and wind up getting nothing done. So, I set my sites on one of the two living room bookshelves. I pulled all of the unread books from it, and these are them:
My #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks 2016 Goals:
- Read at least 4 of my own books every month (at least). Cookbooks count, but at least one of those books must a book other than a cookbook.
- After reading the book, decide if I love it. If not, get it out of the house.
- Books that I own, have borrowed, or checked out from the library count here.
That's it. It might sound simple, but it's really not. I receive new books in the mail at least a few times a month—and scour the library once a week. I'm not ready to give either of those up yet. (Baby steps, remember?) Fortunately it's okay to combine this with other challenges, so I think this will go a long way towards getting some of that piles wiped out when combined with the Foodies Read challenge this year.
My 2016 "Read My Own Damn Books" Log (updated monthly):January:
1. The Restaurant Critic's Wife
2. The Big Bucket List Book: 133 Experiences of a Lifetime
3. Life & Death: Twilight Reimagined
4. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (library book)
1. Last in a Long Line of Rebels
3. My Sweet Vidalia
4. Be Frank With Me
5. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
1. North of Here
2. I Am Legend
3. Spellcasting in Silk (hoopla digital audiobook)
4. The New Bohemians
1. Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge
3. Apartment Therapy
1. Night Shift (library book)
2. Treme: Stories and Recipes from the Heart of New Orleans
3. Power Greens
5. Jane Slayre
1. Pies and Prejudice (library book)
2. He Will Be My Ruin
3. Interview with the Vampire
4. The 420 Gourmet
1. 101 Chilies to Try Before You Die
2. Seagan Eating
1. The Ninja's Daughter
2. Vanishing Time
3. The Branson Beauty
5. Let the Right One In
6. A Piece of Sky, A Grain of Rice
1. The Secret Book of Frida Kahlo
2. The Girls in the Garden
3. The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook
4. Soup Swap