In late 2008, I stumbled across a leeeetle food blog called Smitten Kitchen. I found myself looking forward to the food, the story, the excitement of a new post. And then one day in early 2009, I thought—this is what I want to do! I wanted to cook food, since feeding people was what I did best, but I also wanted to talk about food. Constantly. What better way to do both than to start my own blog?
In typical fashion, I pondered and internally brainstormed and tried to come up with a clever name for my little space on the internet—and failed. Yeah, I'm the girl that comes up with a great comeback line 5 minutes after the other person has walked away. So, I went with what had already been my email "handle", formed as the result of being a female working in a sea of men. So, girlichef officially went live on February 11, 2009. (Update: I've officially changed the name of my blog and url to the title I thought of five minute too late - All Roads Lead to the Kitchen!)
I mentioned that fact that food was always on my mind back then? Well, it still is. I can find inspiration to head into the kitchen around every corner. From visiting new cities to wandering a local apple orchard, from getting lost in a book to watching a movie or tv show, from new experiences to waves of nostalgia—I always find myself back in the kitchen, developing, creating, and expressing my feelings.
Here are some random facts about me, because you know, what better way to get to know someone:
- My very first time in an airplane was a Transatlantic flight, seated in business class. Little did I know, it was all downhill from there. I was 36 years old.
- I love road trips.
- I'm married to a Mexican.
- I would eat fresh fish and/or seafood every single day if I could. For this reason only, I wish I lived on a coast.
- I attended Michigan State University for three years, but didn't graduate. I could not decide what I wanted to do with my life. I'll always bleed green and white, though.
- I have the three most amazing kids on the face of the earth. Naturally.
- I want to be a beekeeper one day.
- I can recite The Goonies word for word. Visiting Mikey and Brand's house in Astoria is on my (unwritten) bucket list.
- Sauce Béarnaise is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world; over a steak or french fries...or eaten with a spoon. Therefore, I limit how often I make it.
- When forced to put myself in a religious box, I classify myself as a Christian with Pagan and Buddhist tendencies. Or maybe a Pagan with Christian and Buddhist tendencies. Or perhaps...
- I'd like to do an apprenticeship in a whisk(e)y distillery. You know, a paid one, because I'm too old and too poor to do it any other way.
- I would love to take a journey around the world, immersing myself in different cultures through food, history, tradition, and people. It doesn't have to be a consecutive journey.
- My favorite herb is tarragon.
- It's very possible that I have a soup addiction.
- As my daughter says, "we're music people". I've been to so many live shows I lost count. Much like good food, good music speaks to my soul.
- For the longest time, my eyebrows were uneven (it's noticeable in the photo above) because I plucked the bejeezus out of them for so many years. I've been resisting the urge to tidy them up lately, with hopes that they'll one day be symmetrical again.
- Autumn is my favorite time of year. The crisp air, college football (preferabley Big Ten), colorful leaves, temps in the 60's. Sigh...
- I think that making bread from scratch is good for the soul, so I do it often.
I like putting booze in food, so much so, that one might call me a boozy food fanatic.I'm fickle and decided that I wanted to be a fish and seafood fanatic instead.
- I'm a huge kung fu movie buff. I'd also love to be in a kung fu movie one day. You know, after I learn kung fu.
- I rowed crew in college for one semester. Then I decided that getting up early enough to make it to practice was for the birds. I sort of regret not sticking with it.
- Pie...bring it. Especially if it's a warm, fruit pie a la mode. Or a nut pie. Oh, and a cup of coffee to go with it.
You can also find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. If you'd like updates directly to your inbox or a certain reader feed, be sure to sign up here for email updates. If you are a brand or represent a brand, please refer to my work with me page. I'm located in Michiana (a region in northern Indiana and southwestern Michigan centered on the city of South Bend, Indiana...my actual location). The best way to reach me is via email: email@example.com