Phew. Now you don't have to wonder.
Now, I the toffee would have been easy enough to just pick up (as in, a solid disc easily lifted off), but after tasting it and weighing it against my time constraints, I decided to just go with it. But it is a tad bit intrusive in the grand scheme of things, so you may want to just leave it off and drizzle it with some chocolate or caramel, top it with some whipped cream, or better yet - just succeed in making a good layer of caramel (ba dum bum).
Chocolate Cheesecake with (or without) Whisky Toffee Shards
Creamy chocolate cheesecake adorned with shards of peaty-whisky toffee and grains smoked sea salt sits atop a pecan shortbread crust.
Prep Time: 40 minutes + overnight refrigeration
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert soy-free vegetarian chocolate pecans whisk(e)y cream cheese cake American
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 2/3 cup (3 ounces / 84 g) pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces / 84 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (4.4 ounces / 124 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (2.6 ounces / 75 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (.2 ounce / 6 g) coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 6 ounces (170 g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 20 ounces (~2 1/2 cups) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (5.4 ounces / 150 g) superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (6 ounces / 168 g) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of fine sea salt (or smoked sea salt, if you want to echo the toffee)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1.5 ounces (1 1/2 tablespoons) Single Malt Scotch (a good, peaty one like Laphroaig)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- smoked sea salt
Heat the oven to 350° F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment, then clamp on the ring.
Combine the toasted and cooled pecans, butter, flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of a food processor; pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Slice into preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown. Set aside to cool while you make the filling.
Leave the oven on at the same temperature.
Put a kettle or a pot of water on to boil. Stir the cocoa powder, espresso powder, and hot water together until dissolved.
Put the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth (you could also melt the chocolate over a hot water bath); set aside.
Rinse and dry the bowl and blade of your food processor (that you used to make the crust earlier). Add the cream cheese to the food processor and run until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and run again to combine. Add the whole eggs and yolks, sour cream, vanilla, and both of the reserved items (dissolved cocoa and espresso and melted chocolate). Process until smooth and well-combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
Lay out two sheets of plastic wrap, overlapping like a "+". Set the cooled pan in the center, then bring the plastic up and wrap the sides. Repeat with two sheets of foil. This will form a protective barrier to stop the water bath from seeping into the pan.
Set the wrapped pan into a roasting pan and pour in the chocolate cheesecake filling. Set on the center rack of the oven, and carefully pour the boiling water into the roasting pan (not the cheesecake pan), so that it comes about halfway up the sides of the inner pan.
Slide into preheated oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until the top the cheesecake is set, but the inside trembles a bit when you gently move it around. Remove the foil and plastic wrap from the outside of the pan, then set on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
Once the cheesecake comes to room temperature, you can make the caramel.
Combine the sugar, water, and cream in a small saucepan, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, taking care NOT to stir once all of the sugar has dissolved. If sugar crystals form on the side of the pan, just dip a pastry brush into water and brush them down.
Let boil and bubble for about 5 minutes, or until it turns amber in color, swirling the pan from time to time. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter and whisky with a wooden spoon. Let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes or so (but not so long that it will harden).
Gently pour the slightly cooled (and still liquid) toffee mixture over the cheesecake. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, preferably overnight, before serving.
At service, use the back of a chef's knife to crack the toffee disc into shards. Dip a long knife into hot water before sliding it through the cheesecake to cut a slice. Sprinkle each slice with a good smattering of smoked sea salt.
If you "mess up" and get caramel instead of toffee, then lucky you.
And of course, you can leave the toffee/caramel off altogether, if you'd rather. The chocolate cheesecake on the pecan shortbread crust is delicious all by itself. Or with a drizzle of chocolate. Or storebought caramel. Or whipped cream. Or...you get the point.
-crust and caramel (with apologies on my mangling of the caramel) adapted from Aida Mollenkamp
Roxana's Home Baking for bringing us all together. Now, check out this amazing list of cheesecake and cheesecake-goodies that's sure to blow your cheesecake-loving mind.
- Apricot ricotta cheesecake from Diethood
- Blackberry Goat Cheese Cheesecake from Baking a Moment
- Blueberry Ricotta Cream Cheesecake from Hungry Couple
- Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake from Wishes and Dishes
- Chocolate Cheesecake w/ Whisky Toffee Shards from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Chocolate chip cookie mini cheesecake from My Sweet Zepol
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cheesecake from Savvy Eats
- Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Crust from All Day I Dream About Food
- Hawaiian Chantilly Layer Cheesecake from Wallflour Girl
- Hawaiian Mini Cheesecakes from Pint Sized Baker
- Key Lime Pie Cheesecake from Love and Confections
- Lemon Cheesecake from Shugary Sweets
- Lemon Ginger Panna Cotta Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce from Girl Versus Dough
- Lightened Up Apricot-Swirl Cheesecake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Lilikoi Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Shortbread Crust from Dieter's Downfall
- Mango Cheesecake (vegan) from Jessiker Bakes
- Mini cheesecakes with a toasted coconut crust (gluten free) from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes with Strawberry Balsamic Topping from Boulder Locavore
- Mom's Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- New York Style Cheesecake from URBAN BAKES
- Oreo Cheesecake (vegan) from Namely Marly
- Oreo Ripple Cheesecake from Overtime Cook
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutella Ganache Topping from The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Rainbow Cheesecake from In Katrina's Kitchen
- Raspberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust from Hip Foodie Mom
- Ricotta Cheesecake from French Press
- Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Snickers Cheesecake from Life, Love and Sugar
- Sugar cookie cheesecake from Munchkin Munchies
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from Wine & Glue
- Very Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Oreo Crust from JavaCupcake
- White Chocolate Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts and Caramel from Taste and Tell
- White Chocolate Frangelico Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake from Will Cook For Smiles
- Berry Cheesecake from Food Lust People Love
- Blackberry Cheesecake from You Made That?
- Butter Pecan Caramel Mini Cheesecakes from Simply Southern Baking
- Cherry and Pistachio Cheesecake with Animal Cracker Crust from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dulce de Leche Cheesecake with Caramelized Peaches from The Food Charlatan
- Limoncello Cheesecake from Cake Duchess
- Mini Lime Cheesecakes from Miss in the Kitchen
- Neopolitan Cheesecake from Grandbaby Cakes
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from White Lights on Wednesday
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- S'mores Cheesecake from The Gunny Sack
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Milkshake from Blahnik Baker
- Caramel Cheesecake Martini from Happy Food, Healthy Life
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars from Cooking with Jax
- Caramel Overload Cheesecake Bars from Crumbs and Chaos
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Inside BruCrew Life
- Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Cookies from Lemons for Lulu
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars from Chez CateyLou
- Healthier Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars from Texanerin Baking
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars from Cooking In Stilettos
- No Bake Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars from Beyond Frosting
- No Bake Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars from Garnish with Lemon
- Pear cheesecake with gingersnap crust from Roxana's Home Baking
- Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake Bars from A Kitchen Addiction
- Banana Foster No Bake Cheesecake Shooters from Mind Over Batter
- Blackberry Cheesecake Brownies from Jen's Favorite Cookies
- Chocolate Nutella Cheesecake Cake from gotta get baked
- Key Lime Trifles from Hoosier Homemade
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pots from Barbara Bakes
- Triple Brigadeiro Cheesecake Tart from From Brazil To You
- Blackberry Cheesecake Popsicles from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Ice Cream from Chocolate Moosey
- Frozen PB&C Cheesecake from Noshing With The Nolands
- Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutter Butter Crust from Crazy for Crust
What's YOUR favorite kind of cheesecake!?