I've been talking lately about things that warm my bones, like soups and stews, comforting roasts, basically anything that cooks low and slow. But sometimes, it even works to just sit back, close my eyes, and sip a cocktail. A sunny burst of lime...the freshness of mint...the rum (oh yeah, totally the rum)...combined they are instant transport to a hot Miami beach via a cocktail—specifically a Mojito.
But I'll do you one better, thanks to Aly of Cooking in Stilettos. She made it easy, really. I knew within just a few moments of rummaging through her "kitchen" what sparkly thing I'd be making. That sunshine-conjuring Mojito I mentioned? She topped it off with sparkles in the form of fizzy Prosecco!
Now, I didn't have any Prosecco on hand, but I did have a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. Same thing, different country. Of course, if I'm being honest, it was Sparkling wine—its origins were California, not France. I digress. It was sparkly, and it transported out of Frozenville for a (far too) short period of time. Whether you drink it in the summer, or drink it in the winter to pretend it's summer, you'll be happy.
The fresh familiar flavors of a mojito with a twist! Pop that cork and add some sparkling wine to your next sunny cocktail.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: n/a
Keywords: beverage vegan soy-free nut-free dairy-free limes mint rum wine
Ingredients (serves 4 to 6)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint + more to garnish
- 1-1/2 limes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup rum (white or silver)
- 1 bottle Sparkling wine (Champagne, Prosecco, Cava, etc)
- ice cubes
Combine mint, lime wedges, and sugar in the bottom of a large cocktail shaker or pitcher. Muddle them together (pound with a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon), adding in a couple of ice cubes to get the mixture moving along a little, if needed. Add the rum and shake/stir vigorously.
Pour into glasses over ice, then top up with the sparkling wine (or water). Garnish with mint and/or lime, if you wish and enjoy immediately.
Other recipes on my to-make list from Aly's site are: Croque Madame Muffins, Winter Minestrone (because my Mojito is gone and my fingers are frozen again), and Mojo de Ajo-style Salmon on the Grill!
I'm a lifelong mystery-lover, my favorite board game is CLUE, and I'm a believer than there's no better way to get to know somebody than through food—is there any doubt that I enjoy this event!?
Today is reveal day, and this month's theme is: SPARKLY. Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member's kitchens!
- Sparkly Shortbread Cookies from Lisa of Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Cherry and Cream Pavlova from Ramona of Curry and Comfort
- Pomegranate Champagne from Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Rosemary Peach Sparkling Cocktail from Alice of A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Baked Ziti from Azmina of Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Maple, Caramel, Golden Sugar Blondies from Kelli of Kelli's Kitchen
- Strawberry Champagne Cocktail from Stacy of Food Lust People Love
- Milky Way Martini from Aly of Cooking in Stilettos
- Cornish Game Hens with Whisky Herb Citrus Glaze Lea Ann of Cooking on the Ranch
- Peach Buckle from Anna of Anna Dishes
- Potato Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette from Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon-Ginger Crinkle Cookies from Jean of Lemons and Anchovies
- Soft Pretzel Sticks with Spicy Mustard Sauce from Heather of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Sparkling Mojitos from Heather of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Salted Toffee Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blood Orange Margaritas from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cinnamon Rolls from Kate of Kate's Kitchen
- Brown Butter, Brown Sugar Banana Bread from Christiane of Taking on Magazines
- Savory Clafoutis from Christiane of Taking on Magazines
- Cardamom White Chocolate Panna Cotta from Debra of Eliot's Eats
A couple more cocktails with sparkle to brighten your day:
Funny Girl Cocktail
Sparkling Pomegranate Margarita
I am sharing this cocktail with Tipsy Tuesdays at Grey is the New Black!