Curry and Comfort is written by Ramona, who writes of her love for curry and American comfort food (and everything in between). Let's just say that I spent a long time perusing and hunting down red things, and I had a list so long it trailed behind me by the time I finished. Or at least it would have if it was printed out. Next I spent time slowly crossing items like Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, BLT Pizza, and Crockpot Paprika Chicken off my list.
What caused me to leave tempting food like that simmering on the backburner? Two words: chia seeds. To know me is to know my love for those little power-houses. I drink my daily chia, and am always looking for food I can sneak them into. Well, when I laid eyes on Ramona's Strawberry Chia Jam, nothing else stood a chance. I'd been meaning to try chia jam...any variety...for quite some time, but still hadn't gotten around to it. Mystery solved. Decision made.
Chia Pancakes, and couldn't get the combo out of my head, so out came my jar of chia...with breakfast soon to follow. About 2/3 of my batch of jam disappeared with the pancakes (seriously, I didn't even need syrup), the rest was judiciously slathered on buttered toast for the next couple of morning.
Here is my slightly adapted version of those lovely pancakes covered in ruby RED strawberry chia jam!
Strawberry Chia Jam with Chia Seed Pancakes
Fluffy chia seed pancakes smothered in a simple, no-bake strawberry chia seed jam.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: breakfast condiment vegetarian soy-free nut-free chia seeds strawberries
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar (to taste, depending on sweetness of berries)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk + more as needed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Instructionsmaking the jam (yield: 1-1/2 cups / 12 fluid ounces ):
Hull the strawberries, cut them into halves or quarters (depending on size), and place them in a deep-sided bowl. Sprinkle the sugar over them and add the water, then toss to combine. Use an immersion blender (wand or hand blender) to pulse into a slightly chunky puree. Stir in the chia seeds and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir again to distribute chia seeds, then transfer to a jar; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-large bowl. Make a well in the center. Combine the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup with a spout. Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined; may have small lumps. If batter seems too thick, whisk in more buttermilk until you have a thick, pourable consistency.
Heat griddle or skillet on medium heat; add a little butter, oil, or non-stick spray to the pan (if needed), then ladle batter by 1/4 cup onto hot surface. When the pancakes starts to make bubbles and brown on the edges, flip over and cook the other side.
Serve warm with butter and Strawberry Chia Jam (I like it warmed first if it's been refrigerated) and/or maple syrup.
I'm a lifelong mystery-lover, my favorite board game is CLUE, and I'm a believer than there's no better way to get to know somebody than through food—is there any doubt that I enjoy this event!?
Today is reveal day, and this month's theme is: RED. Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member's kitchens!
- Bacon & Cheddar Savory Bread Pudding Bites by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Banana Cranberry White Chocolate Muffins by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Blood Orange Mojito by Anna from annaDishes
- Buffalo Roasted Chickpeas by Janet from Cupcakes to Caviar
- Cherry Almond Coconut Bars by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Bark by Ramona from Curry and Comfort
- Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Love Potion #9 w/ Raspberry Chambord Ice Cubes by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Madam Wong's Pizza Rolls by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Negroni by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Paloma Naranjada Cocktail by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Pomegranate-Lime Granita by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Raspberry Amaretto Bundt Cake by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry-Strawberry Puff Pancake by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Red-Hot Currant-Glazed Pork Chops by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Red Velvet Cupcakes by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Roasted Asparagus by Kim from Liv Life
- Strawberry Chia Jam w/ Chia Seed Pancakes by Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Strawberry Vanilla Scones by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Tomato Herb Compound Butter by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Joes from annaDishes