Basic simple syrup is made using equal parts sugar and water, but sometimes you'll see a recipe that calls for a heavy (or rich) simple syrup, and from time to time, one that calls for a light simple syrup. Making either is only a matter of adjusting the sugar to water ratio.
While it doesn't get much simpler than dissolving sugar in water, sometimes you're looking for a little something different. Why not try using honey or maple syrup instead of granulated sugar? Plus, if you're looking to try some flavored simple syrups, I've got some suggestions for those, as well.
Basic Simple Syrup with Variations
A recipe for making basic simple syrup to flavor your drinks, with the option for making it heavy or light. Plus, honey simple syrup and maple simple syrup.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: beverage condiment vegan nut-free soy-free sugar
Ingredients (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup granulated or superfine sugar
- 1 cup water
Combine sugar and water in a small pot. Set the pot over medium heat until the mixture has almost come to a boil and all of the sugar has completely dissolved, stirring often.
Remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool. Transfer the mixture to a bottle or jar with a lid; keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator.
If a recipe calls for heavy (or rich) simple syrup, then increase the sugar to water ratio to 2:1 (i.e. 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water).
If a recipe calls for light simple syrup, then decrease the sugar to water ratio to .5:1 (i.e. 1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup water).
Combine 1/2 cup runny honey and 1/2 cup of water in small pot. Heat and stir until honey is just dissolved. Proceed as with basic simple syrup. (I like to use wildflower honey, but you can use your favorite kind here. I recommend not using something dark like buckwheat honey, as it can overpower the taste of your drink.)
Combine 1/2 cup real maple syrup and 1/2 cup of water in small pot. Heat and stir until maple syrup is just dissolved. Proceed as with basic simple syrup.
While these three basic varieties of simple syrups can be used to sweeten countless drinks and cocktails, sometimes you're looking for something a little different...with flavor variations. You can infuse any version of simple syrup with herbs, spices, flowers, fruit, essential oils, booze, and even vegetables to find that twist you're looking for.
This is usually done by steeping something in the syrup as it cools, and then straining it before transferring to a bottle or jar. Below you'll find a variety of different types of simple syrup recipes, some of which you can find right here at girlichef, the others from food blogs and sites around the web. You're sure to find inspiration in the listings below!
(More) Basic simple syrups
- Caramel Syrup from CopyKat Recipes
- Miel de Panela from Laylita's Recipes
- Miel de Piloncillo (Mexican Raw Sugar Syrup)
- Quick 'n Easy Caramel Syrup from It's Yummi
- Stevia Simple Syrup from Happy Food, Healthy Life
Boozy Simple Syrups
Fruity Simple Syrups
- Blackberry Syrup from Healthy Slow Cooking
- Blueberry Simple Syrup from The Kitchen is My Playground
- Citrus Syrup from The Kitchen is My Playground
- Coconut Simple Syrup
- Cucumber Simple Syrup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Cranberry Cinnamon Simple Syrup from Eats Well With Others
- Cranberry Ginger Simple Syrup from So...Let's Hang Out
- Mixed Berry Syrup from One Sweet Mess
- Peach Simple Syrup from Iowa Girl Eats
- Raspberry Jam (and Apricot Jam) Simple Syrup from Busy in Brooklyn
- Raspberry Simple Syrup
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Simple Syrup from Frugal Foodie Mama
Flower, Herb, and Spice Simple Syrups
- Blackberry-Verbena Syrup from Crumb
- Fiori di Sicilia-Inspired Syrup from An Edible Mosaic
- Ginger-Cinnamon Simple Syrup from Rachel Cooks
- Lavender Simple Syrup from The View from Great Island
- Lavender Syrup (made w/ coconut sugar) from Healthy Slow Cooking
- Minty Simple Syrup
- Peppermint Syrup (made w/ coconut sugar) from A Girl Worth Saving
- Rose Simple Syrup
- Rosemary Simple Syrup from Like Mother Like Daughter
- Spiced Ginger Simple Syrup from Laylita's Recipes
- Spiced Simple Syrup from The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie
Looking for a certain type of simple syrup that you don't see listed? Just ask! Leave me a comment below and I'm happy to find a link to your query, or if I can't find one, develop a recipe myself. Also, if you have a favorite type of simple syrup that I left off the list, let me know (leave a link to it in the comment section or type it out)!