Aside from cooking up great food on a regular basis, she's an incredibly kind person, as well. When she had the chance to meet Rick Bayless, she actually got a signed copy of his (then) new cookbook for me since she knew he was (is) my favorite chef. I was blown away. Still am each and every time I open the cover of Fiesta at Rick's. I just realized that was in October of 2010. Time flies!
But anyway, the hardest part was narrowing down the choices of what I wanted to throw on the grill this month. A few things I contemplated were Sriracha Chicken Mushroom Kabobs, Honey Butter Grilled Chicken Wings with Parsley Sauce, Grilled Salmon with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce, and Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Southwestern Zinfandel Glaze. See? Almost impossible to narrow it down just from those few!
Slightly tart and tangy, plus pleasantly sweet—zesty is definitely the perfect adjective to describe it. Lea Ann served hers with some parboiled red potatoes that she threw on the grill, and it looked perfect, so I did, too. I also saw that she lined her serving tray with spinach...can you guess what I did? Oh yeah! If you line your tray with a bag of baby spinach, then set the ham steaks and spuds hot off the grill on top of it, the juices soak in to flavor and wilt the spinach. My whole family devoured all three.
It came together so easily, and my neighbor walked over to the fence just as I put everything on the tray to say how amazing it looked and smelled. I have a feeling this is going to be an oft-requested meal in my house.
Zesty Grilled Ham Steaks
Ham steaks brushed with a sweet and zesty glaze make a quick, easy, and incredibly delicious meal from the grill.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: grill entree dairy-free nut-free soy-free ham lemons American
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 smoked ham steaks (about 1.5 pounds each)
Whisk the brown sugar, horseradish, and lemon juice together until well combined.
Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high.
Brush both sides of the ham steaks with the glaze and set on the prepared grill.
Cook for about 10-12 minutes per side, brushing occasionally with more glaze. Done when well-glazed and charred in spots.
Serve with grilled red potatoes and baby spinach. (Parboil small halved potatoes, then toss in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper before finishing on grill. Set ham over spinach so it soaks up juices.)
-slightly adapted from Cooking on the Ranch
I'm a lifelong mystery-lover, my favorite board game is CLUE, and I'm a believer than there's no better way to get to know somebody than through food—is there any doubt that I enjoy this event!?
Today is reveal day, and this month's theme is: Summer BBQ / Grilling. Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member's kitchens!
- Artichoke and Green Chile Stuffed Mushrooms by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Arugula Salad w/ Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts, and Parmesan by Kathy from Bakeaway with Me
- Bourbon Baked Beans by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Classic Southern Potato Salad by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cornish Game Hens with Citrus, Herb and Whiskey Glaze by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Crinkle Sugar Cookies by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Crockpot Chili Dog Sauce by Kelli from Kelli's Kitchen
- Grilled Asian-Style Chicken by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Grilled Chicken Shish Tawook by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Salmon with Mojo de Ajo by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Grilled Southwestern Chicken Salad by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Grilled Zucchini with Sea Salt and Lemon Zest by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Lemintini by Anna from annaDishes
- Marinated Grilled Flank Steak by Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Oklahoma Spicy Baked Beans by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Spatchcock BBQ Chicken by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Steak Kabobs by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- White Bean Tomato and Basil Salad by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Zesty Grilled Ham Steaks by Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen